The City of New Philadelphia has a history as rich and colorful as the valley that surrounds it. In 1804, John Knisely founded our town just west of the site of Schoenbrunn, a Moravian Indian missionary town. Taverns and merchants thrived here as the village was a focal point for travelers and settlers from the east. With the construction of the Ohio-Erie Canal, New Philadelphia became a marketing center for agricultural products and the canal provided water power for mills. The coming of railroads led to coal mining and, eventually, to steel and manufacturing. Some other important dates in New Philadelphia history include the following:
In 1808, Tuscarawas County was formed creating the rivalry between Dover and New Philadelphia over competition for the county seat.
New Philadelphia was incorporated Feb. 12, 1833 with the first elections being held on May 6 of that year. B.M. Atherton was elected as Mayor.
In 1854, the first railroad was completed.
In 1895, the village was advanced to the status of city. The census of that year listed New Philadelphia at 5,673 residents.
In 1898, the public square was paved providing our city's first paved streets.
New Philadelphia Public Schools opened Sept. 9, 1900 with 5 school buildings and an enrollment of 1,267 students.
Quaker Stadium held it's first game on Sept.29, 1928.
New Philadelphia Post Office was built in 1929, modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia.
There are several famous Ohioans that have ties to our city. New Philadelphia was home to Ohio Governor Donahey. President McKinley was known to visit our town, and John Glenn did his initial flight training at Harry Clever Field here in New Philadelphia. College football legend Woody Hayes coached the Quakers in the late 1930's.
The above information was gathered from the Tuscarawas County Historical Society.