The City of New Philadelphia is Rich in History
In 1804, John Knisely founded our town just west of the site of Schoenbrunn, a Moravian Indian missionary town and the first Christian town in Ohio. Taverns and merchants thrived here as the village was a focal point for travelers and settlers from the east. With the construction of the Ohio-Erie Canal, New Philadelphia became a marketing center for agricultural products and the canal provided water power for mills. The coming of railroads led to coal mining and, eventually, to steel and manufacturing.
Some important dates in New Philadelphia’s history:
Tuscarawas County was formed creating the rivalry between Dover and New Philadelphia over competition for the county seat
New Philadelphia is incorporated Feb. 12, 1833 with the first elections being held on May 6 of that year. B.M. Atherton was elected as Mayor
The first railroad is completed
The village advances to the status of city. The census of that year listed New Philadelphia at 5,673 residents
The public square is paved, providing our city's first paved streets
New Philadelphia Public Schools opens Sept. 9, 1900 with five school buildings and an enrollment of 1,267 students
Quaker Stadium holds its first football game on Sept.29, 1928.
New Philadelphia Post Office is built in 1929, modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia.
New Philadelphia chose the red rose as it's official flower 4-25-1966.
Famous Ohioans with Ties to New Philadelphia
There are several famous Ohioans who have ties to our city. New Philadelphia was home to Ohio Governor Donahey. President McKinley was known to visit our town, and John Glenn did his initial flight training at Harry Clever Field here in New Philadelphia. College football legend Woody Hayes coached the Quakers in the late 1930s.